Spruce up your Pooch………
The cuddly look of these ancient Tibetan dogs belies an independent and bold temperament. Here are a few tips to make your Lhasa look pretty and his mane beautiful:
- Lhasa Apsos have a thick double coat and beneath a long coarse overcoat lies a soft undercoat. Their dense coat requires regular, almost daily grooming to prevent matting.
- Begin the grooming session by gently coaxing your dog to lie down on his side. Remove any matts that you find using a pin brush and be careful not to break any hair as you do so. Using the same pin brush, brush the coat out gently in the direction that it grows. Once you have pinbrushed the entire coat, go over it again using a soft bristle brush.
- Bathe your dog after you have brushed him thoroughly. Squeeze the shampoo gently through the coat to prevent tangling. Great care should be taken to rinse thoroughly as shampoo left in the coat can cause skin irritation that will lead to scratching and a tangled matted coat in no time.
- The coat usually require a light conditioner as well, so use a shampoo with conditioner or you can also apply a cream rinse available at some pet shops.
- When you towel your dog dry, squeeze the excess water from his coat with the towel and if you want the correct look for his breed, blow dry him with cool air rather than letting the coat dry naturally.
- Lhasa Apsos have very sensitive eyes and great care should be taken to make sure that the area around the eyes is kept clear and clean.
- If you find it difficult to follow a regular grooming routine at home, you can seek the help of a professional groomer and trim your Lhasa Apso’s coat, keeping it at a length that is manageable for you and comfortable for him as well.
(Gauri and Urmila, at TailWaggers Pet Salon have been providing the latest and best grooming facilities for the past 5 years. To make your pet look stylish, call at 9820127572.)
6 Tips for that perfect body stats…
A healthy body has a healthy mind and who wants to be obese? Besides spoiling the entire look, obesity causes a multitude of health problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, respiratory problems and joint or skeletal disorders in our canine as well. But don’t worry, here are a few tips to make your dog get back into shape:
- Correct amount of food : Reduce the size of meal and keep each serving consistent. Feed your dog according to his breed and age.
- Overfeeding : You may have an irresistible tendency to feed your animal companion whenever you are eating something. Don’t give in to their temptations and regulate their food intake.
- Low calorie treats : In case, you use treats to train your pets, make sure they are low in calories.
- Exercise : A little extra walk or playtime will help your dog to reduce fat.
- Genetic predisposition : Hormonal disorders like thyroid or pituitary gland dysfunction also contribute to obesity. Consult your vet for the same.
- Consistency : In order to achieve the desired weight, he would need to be kept on a weight reduction programme for at least 8 – 10 months. But consult your vet before beginning any such programmes.