http://www.dogsandpupsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Rashee-with-Boss1.jpg 206 354 Dogs and pups Magazine http://www.dogsandpupsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1254nal.jpg Dogs and pups Magazine2014-07-14 12:49:582017-04-11 23:47:33How to become a marvellous pet parent
Here are some vital tips to become a marvellous pet parent.
- Adopt a country or pariah dog as your pet. He is more disease resistant and easy to manage.
- Puppies have to be periodically dewormed and fed a balanced diet to refrain them from eating rubbish.
- Obedience training is very essential to have a good, life-long relationship with your pup. Start early when he is 3-4 months old.
- Any new food for the pet must be introduced gradually in small quantities.
- Dog’s dental health can be maintained through regular brushing and dental treats.
- Walking the pet on rough surfaces will trim his nails automatically.
- While bathing a dog, take care to avoid water entering inside the ears.
- When your pet is left alone in the house, play soft music or your recorded voice to keep him calm.
- To administer tablets to dogs, powder and mix with his favourite treat.
- Before travelling with your pet, put him on the light meal. Take your vet’s advice.
- Micro-chipping your dog will help in easy identification.
- When two dogs are fighting with each other, do not try to separate them manually. Throw a bucket of water on them!
- Control of external parasites on your pet is very essential to avoid anaemia and life-threatening diseases.
- Maintain a proper bodyweight of your pet as obesity leads to diabetes, arthritis and cancer.
- Dogs living in farms are prone to snake bites. So, it’s always better to take precaution by stocking Polyvalent Antisnake Venom in advance.
- Avoid spraying your garden with toxic insecticides. Your pet may get accidentally poisoned. Use safer, eco-friendly insecticides.
- In case your pet bites you, wash the site of bite with soap and running water. Apply an antiseptic. Do not bandage. Consult your vet.
(Dr CS Arun is Masters in Veterinary Science (Avian Diseases) from IVRI, Bareilly. He is private veterinary practitioner at My Pet Hospital, Mysore).