Summers are a great time to dash into water – it’s a great way to beat the heat. Even dogs love to swim. Here are a few tips to keep your pooch safe in the pool, especially those who are entering the water for the first time:
- Wait: Never throw your dog into the water. Let him explore it gradually.
- The bait: Go in the shallow water and call your pooch. Coax him with a treat or a toy. Just remember to keep him within reach. Alternatively, if you have another dog who can swim and is friendly with your dog, let him guide him to water.
- The right strokes: Once inside water, your dog will start doggy-paddle with his front legs only. Lift his hind legs and help him float. He will understand the stroke and learn to keep his back end up.
- Show the stairs: Acquaint your dog with the steps in the pool
so that he may use them, in case he needs to come out at anypoint of time.
- Don’t overdo it: As we all know, swimming is a great form of exercise. Your dog may tire quickly.
- Be close to him: Never leave your dog unattended in the pool. Be close to him so that you can help him in case of need.
- Get a life jacket: Buy a good life jacket for your pooch.