Emergencies! Be quick, don’t waste time!
Common emergencies in pets that require critical/intensive care
- Cardio-pulmonary shock
- Congestive heart/failure attack
- Septicaemic (heavy bacterial infection) shock
- Heat stroke
- Accidental injuries
- Pancreatitis attack
- Epileptic attack (status epilepticus)
- Severe vomiting and loose motions
- Dystocia/assisted deliveries (whelping)
- Neonatal care (for puppies suffering from fading puppy syndrome)
Tips to follow at home in case of emergency
Airway: Check if the airway is clear of any debris and pull the tongue out. Breathing: Check if the dog is breathing or not; if not, then give artificial respiration by blowing air into the nose till the chest starts expanding. Circulation: Check whether the heart is beating or not or is a pulse present. If not, then give a cardiac massage by keeping one palm over the other behind the left elbow over the rib cage area and press it downward and forward at least 100 times/minute till you feel the heart beating again.
Facilities offered at intensive care units
To ensure that your pet gains his precious health back, the facilities offered at intensive care units include: 1. A multi parameter patient monitor which will monitor all seven parameters:
- Continuous ECG monitoring
- Continuous blood pressure monitoring
- Continuous heart rate monitoring
- Checking of respiratory rate on regular intervals
- Temperature monitoring
- SpO2 level monitoring
2. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation using normal and advance life support systems.
3. Special facility to manage heat stroke patients.
4. Assisted deliveries for female pets to ensure timely action and proactive care for both the delivering pet as well as the little ones when they arrive.
5. Special antidotes if the pet is poisoned due to any reason. Such pets must immediately be rushed to the CCU for special care and relief.
6. Chemotherapy for cancer patients.
(Dr Anand’s Pets Clinic’s Critical Care Unit for pets in Vikas Puri, New Delhi is functional 24×7.
Call at 24 hours helpline number: 8826560684.)