Be the new age pet parent
– Royal Canin’s carbon neutral product range to protect the environment
Taking care of your pets and the environment now goes hand-in-hand with Royal Canin’s all new carbon neutral product range. Know more about it and how the brand is taking a pledge to help the environment.
ROYAL CANIN® presents to you the first certified carbon neutral product range. The carbon neutrality of each product has been certified by SGS Global Services in line with globally recognized PAS 2060 carbon neutrality standard a robust and internationally recognized standard. The launch of ROYAL CANIN®’s first carbon neutral range marks an important step in our journey to becoming carbon neutral certified across all of our products by the end of 2025. This action by the ROYAL CANIN is part of Mars, Incorporated Sustainable in a Generation Plan, which seeks to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions across its full value chain by 2050. Both commitments –
- Support the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) recommendations to help limit global warming to 1.5°C (vs pre-industrial times)
- Recognize the important role business has and how it can embed climate action at the core of its business operations
- Seekto help alleviate climate change and mitigate its impact on the health of the planet and its people
What does ‘carbon neutral’ mean?
Carbon neutrality means having a balance between the greenhouse gases emitted to the atmosphere and the carbon removed from the atmosphere and stored in trees, soil, or other locations.
Carbon neutrality is verified through a certification that confirms a product or brand, event or business is working to reduce its carbon footprint and is offsetting its entire remaining carbon footprint with carbon credits. There are numerous standards, and the carbon neutral standard the Kitten and Puppy Growth Programs uses – PAS 2060 – is a robust and internationally recognized, independent standard.
How did we manage to be carbon neutral for this range?
We are transforming our business to be climate smart by taking steps to reduce our carbon footprint, whilst purchasing removal-based carbon credits in the short term. The strategies we will take to achieve carbon neutral by the end of 2025 are as follows –
- Transitioning to renewable energy – by progressively switching to renewable energy (electric and thermal) across our factories and offices, while reducing energy consumption overall. Our aim is to have 100% of our energy renewable in our offices and factories by 2040.
- Procuring more climate-smart ingredients – by leveraging our nutrient-based approach and reducing carbon emissions through the reformulation of products, including switching to more sustainably sourced proteins and low-carbon intensity ingredients
- Reducing waste and boosting circularity – by significantly increasing recyclability and testing the use of reusable packaging in alignment with Mars’s ambitious packaging sustainability goals. Additionally, we will drive down the packaging carbon footprint by progressively integrating recycled content and reducing the amount of packaging material used.
- Transforming the ways of working – from management practices to the engagement of Associates, suppliers and business partners in the journey.
By continuing to innovate, developing key partnerships and making strategic investments, we aim to help our consumers take care of both their pets and the environment.”
The Kitten and Puppy Growth Programs range achieved carbon neutrality from transitioning to renewable energy, optimizing lower-carbon recipes formulation, procuring more climate-smart ingredients,optimizing outbound logistics and by purchasing removal-based carbon credits. The choice was to start with the Kitten and Puppy Growth Programs range, with over 50 different products offering specialist nutrition to support pet health from birth up to adulthood.