Breeding is big responsibility as it reflects more of the personality of her master. Here are a few things to be kept in mind while breeding your dog.
A dog as a pet provides us unique companionship, sense of security, faithfulness and moments of unbound happiness. But by the time our pup matures into an adult female we may tend to be complacent about her needs and implications of her indiscriminate breeding.
|Attention dog breeders!
The Government of India has notified the ABC (Dogs) Rules 2001, which makes it mandatory for all ‘dog breeders’ to get themselves registered with Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) under Rule 12(i). These Rules were notified in the Gazette of India on 24 December 2001 which are in force.For more details, contact:
Animal Welfare Board of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Govt. of India;
Ph: 044-2445 4935/4958;
E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.awbi.org
It is always advisable to breed with a pure pedigree dog to avoid a litter of unwanted but adorable puppies as it might be difficult to find homes for these loving canines.
- Normally a female dog comes into season at about six months. But it is advisable that her first mating should take place when she is healthy and around 18 to 24 months old.
- Choosing a right sire for your dog is very important.
- Good pedigree may be a vital yardstick but never at the cost of inbreeding. Dangers of inbreeding are manifold, such as genital defects, high percentage of mortality of pups and frequent ailments. Remember love and compassion transcends labels and pedigrees. Never crucify your litter at the alter of inbreeding.
- A female dog is often successfully mated between the periods of 9-14 days of her menses. Your vet can provide more precise information in this regard.
- Deworming of the dog between first two days of menses as per vet’s advice is resorted to by many breeders but never after successful mating or during pregnancy.
Breed your dog
only if she is :
- Quality pedigree
- A champion
- Offspring of champion bloodline
- Free from hereditary disease
- Mature enough to breed
- Once pregnancy is confirmed, it is desirable that essential nutrients be supplemented. It’s always better to seek your vet’s advice than self administering her with calcium, iron tablets or cod liver oil. All these nutrients may be essential but must be administered as per your vet’s advice.
- During pregnancy, health hygiene of your dog should be carefully looked after. Proper exercise, walks should be undertaken and all games and sports should be avoided.
Successful breeding comes with a commitment of being ethical and taking the utmost care of your female dog. But the responsibility of the breeder does not end here. It is his responsibility to make sure that a pup finds in a lovable and caring home. And it is also his responsibility to see that the potential buyer can become a responsible pet parent.