The word friendship conjures many beautiful images of warmth, togetherness, trust, etc. A bonding which is felt, shared and enjoyed both in happy and testing times. While interacting with a number of people, it was great to learn that each one of them shared this special feeling with their furry friends. And everybody agreed that their lil’ darlings exactly understood the need of the hour. A romp in the park, a quiet confession, a hug to give and to get — all form part and parcel of this beautiful bond.
But, how do we show that we love them too? How do we build this precious relationship? Interaction???? Apart from taking care of them in terms of health, nutrition, grooming and care, a lot depends on our interaction with them. They need the mental stimulation, games and quality time from us. To promote this everlasting relationship through interaction between the doggie and their people, Mumbai has a new club called K9-Klub in Chembur. Similar event was organised by In Defence of Animals where the doggies and their owners could play games, the mere objective being to have fun together.
Each one of us would love to know exactly what our doggies think. But, the amazing part is how they exactly know what we are thinking and also convey what they want. The idea is to get their work done either by hook or by crook – and generally it’s by crook!!! If one member of the family doesn’t give in to their wishes, these lil’ devils know exactly who in the family will do so. So their little mischief starts — the soulful look, excited bark, and throwing tantrums — and you thought only babies knew how to throw tantrums!
And for all the people who are owned by their lil’ pets – here is a checklist to know you’re a doggy person when…
- Your room is full of dog beds, chew toys, collars, leashes etc.
- You meet other people with dogs, and first question is how is their dog?
- Your parents give up on grandchildren and start to refer to your dogs as “your kids” or your children. (Bonus: they start to call them “our granddogs.”)
- No one wants to ride in your car because they know they’ll get dog hair on their clothes.
- You reach into your pockets for change, and treats, dog kibble, chews fall all over.
- The highlight of your day is spending time with your dog.
- All of your clothes have dog hair on them, even when they come back washed. (Anonymous) Sparkle definitely agrees and he knows I’m totally in his control…