Weekend hangouts with your pooch
Just like us, pets like to feel loved and cared for. Moreover, studies indicate that spending time with pets helps reduce stress, fight depression, control blood pressure and provide a number of other physical and mental benefits. Here are a few simple ways for you to bond with your dog.
- Get some exercise: Take your pet to the park for a game of Frisbee or just to run around and have some fun. You’ll get some good exercise in the process too! Figure out a time when the park is not too crowded- so that you can take them off the leash (if they are controllable!). During your walk- take notice of your surroundings and the little things we often overlook!
- Go for a drive with music: Most dogs love the feel of wind on their face!
- Set up a doggie play date: If your dog gets along with other dogs, call a friend who also has a dog and let the two of them socialise. Doggies like to make new friends too!
- Take a dog friendly vacation: This requires substantial planning, so plan ahead of time.
- Curl up with a book or watch a movie: Let your dog sit close to you or in your lap. The human touch is very comforting to them!
- Teach an old dog a new trick: Yes, this is possible! Start by trying to teach him something simple. Show your dog a treat and guide him with it.
- Dog therapy: Pet therapy is not for all dogs but if your dog is exceptionally well behaved and socialised, it is a very rewarding experience. I recently took my dog Sara to a children’s NGO- and spoke with them about dogs, and how to treat them on the road. It was a great time for the kids and Sara had a lovely time too!
- Groom your pet yourself: Dog grooming is one of your dog’s basic needs and an important part of pet parenting. More often than not, many owners leave this task to household help. It’s imperative that you groom your pet occasionally yourself to check for rashes and skin infections. Also give your pet a nice scrubby bath!
- Play an indoor game such as hide and seek. All dogs enjoy this! Hide somewhere easy in your home and call out to your dog. Make a huge fuss when he finds you, and soon there’ll be lots of excitement, wags and barks. Your dog will learn the game very quick and it’s a lot of fun!
- Take some photos with your pet that will make for wonderful memories.
- Take them along for errands: If you’re running simple errands such as picking up your kids from school, or taking a short drive to pick up groceries- take your pet along in the car. Your mundane errands will suddenly become a lot more fun and your dog will love the chance to be your companion. In case you need to step out of the car for a few minutes, do not leave your dog inside the car, especially in summer.
- Go for a family picnic with your dog: We recently took Sara- our Lab to Delhi’s Lodhi Garden for a lovely early morning picnic. While we enjoyed our music and chat with family and friends- Sara sat right in the midst of all of us and loved all the attention and her own packed picnic breakfast!
- Spend time at a dog spa together. Lavish your pet with therapies to make her relax.
So, you don’t have to actually take time out for bonding…anytime is good time!!!
(Heads Up For Tails is a pet corner for a huge collection of luxury accessories to pamper your furry babies from head to tail. To schedule a ‘Pawtrait’, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.)